Thursday, April 23, 2009

David Wayne Cotham February 23, 1953 - March 5, 2009



Daddy passed away on Thursday, March 5th, 2009. I haven't been able to write about it yet, and it's still not easy seeing a death date after his birth date. I think that will take some getting used to. I still can't believe it is final...I still catch myself wanting to call him and tell him about something, and then sadly remember that I can't. I do know that one day I will get to see him again in heaven, and that I have a personal guardian angel. I cannot say enough about how wonderful he was, and how thankful I am to have him while I did.
He was in my dream the other night, and we were playing softball. It was like I was 17 years old again, and he was as healthy as he could be. I like it when he is in my dreams, because he is like the "old" Daddy I want to remember - the healthy & happy one.
I am glad that Daddy is no longer suffering and that he can now take long deep breaths. I just wish that he was still here with me too - and for that I am kind of selfish. But, I am such a Daddy's girl and still can't imagine the rest of my life without him in it. I know that he will always be in my heart and I can carry the memories, but honestly that just isn't enough. But in reality, it's going to have to be.
Daddy knew how much I loved him. I asked him about a week before he was gone, "Daddy, you know how much I love you, right?" And he said "Yes, honey, I do". He had on his green & black Elk p.j. pants I had gotten him a few Christmases ago :) I just had to make sure he knew, because if he didn't, I was going to tell him. For Christmas this past year, I wrote a book titled "Daddy's Girl" and had it published for him. Every chapter was a different part of our relationship as Daddy & daughter, and how much I appreciated everything he had done for me, complete with pictures. It's hard to say things sometimes and to be able to get them out, but when you write them down, it can come out much easier. He told me that was the best gift he had ever received. I have it on our coffee table in our house now.
Daddy was my best friend. I miss him every day. This will not be the last time I write about him...because his memory still lives in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. So sweet and well said, Carla. I know your Daddy is so proud of you and how strong you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, I just read these beautiful words and just balled my eyes out! I Love You so much and continue to pray for your family daily. You're dad was such an amazing father and I hope you truly do know how much he loved you and Christy!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete

The Story of Praying

Well, you almost had me fooled Told me that I was nothing without you Oh, but after everything you've done I can thank you for ho...